Monday 30 January 2023

Bf 109 F-2 coded 'D-IWAU'


" ..Hi Neil,

..something and nothing really. We came across this "lost" photo when my wife's grandmother passed away. The airman on the extreme right is Joe, a friend of the family, taken in Germany in mid 1945. Joe met and married a Jewish girl who had been in a concentration camp and they eventually emigrated to Canada. I had the pleasure of meeting them when they visited in the 1980's.We found the image again yesterday in a poorer state than it was so I repaired it. I found it odd to see as late as 1945 what I would say were pre-war style 'civilian' markings on the aircraft, I'm guessing a Bf 109? Anyway hope it is of interest....

Regards Steve..."



From Peter Achs; " ..This was the V35, W-Nr. 9227 used in 1941/42 as a testbed for a DB 605 (W-Nr. 76076) with intercooler by Daimler-Benz at Echterdingen. take over: 16 Aug(?) 1941 from Mtt Regensburg by railway ("16. IIX. 41" in the original document) delivered: 22 Oct 1942 to the DVL at Braunschweig.."

More on this machine in Roger Gaemperle's "Captured Eagles" monograph...