Sunday 9 February 2020

'Edu' Neumann, Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG 27, Eduard Friedrich




"...Here is my Eduard Bf 109 F4. I didn't fancy the schemes in the boxing I had so raided the spare decal box and made a JG 27 machine as seen in the "Africa" combo boxing, complete with the attractive yellow nose. I could have gone with Marseille's machine, maybe next time! Gunze and Tamiya exterior with Vallejo interior details. There is a fair bit of tonal variation on the wings and fuselage as I lightened/darkened various panels to break up the monotone RLM79 finish. There is some restrained chipping with a silver pencil. Tyres flatted and pitot replaced with hollow tube. Everything hanging down. The spinner is held on with magnets. I found it centres more precisely that way and can be easily removed for transport to shows. Amazingly it even spins. A joy to build notwithstanding the cockpit is pretty busy and a bit of a tight fit here and there, especially the instrument panel. Keep 'em coming Eduard..."

Rick 'gryphon28'




'Edu' Neumann, Gruppenkommandeur of I./JG 27 returning from a combat sortie, a scene depicted on the cover of a recent issue of ‘Avions’ magazine. Somewhat surprisingly (perhaps) for the Kommandeur I./JG 27 (subsequently Kommodore) most of his ‘kills’ - after a couple in Spain - were returned over southern England during the Battle of Britain. A more or less 'factory fresh' Bf 109 F-4 (note armoured windscreen) would suggest that the photo was taken in September/October 1941.